Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The Golden Geeks part 2: What may have been.

While Jamie touched on the announcements of the Golden Geek nominations (Here), I think I'll take a different approach. He picked out his favorites in a few categories also highlighting some of his other top choices. I'm going to take a look at some of the games I wish I'd had the opportunity to play. Starting in the Board Game of the year category is Great Western Trail by Stronghold Games.


Stronghold has had a HUGE couple of years, pumping out some amazing games. Fabled Fruit, Animals on Board, Coal Baron, Diamonds, The Dragon and Flagon, Terraforming Mars (which is far superior to Scythe). How could their next game disappoint? I wanted so badly to try this game at BGGcon last year but the stars didn't align. Deck building and tile placement have this game pegged as a great intro game, but the reviews repeatedly show how much depth and decision making this game really has packed in. I really hope to be able to play this in 2017.

Next up, getting nods in the categories of; Card Game, Cooperative Game, Family Game and Thematic Game is Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. I originally passed on this game due to the cooperative name tag it wears. But after seeing it and hearing from a few people, it has the one feature that I enjoy in a co-op game. The game actually fights against you. The reason I don't like co-op is generally, you win or you lose. It comes down to the choices the players make, but when the game actually throws you curves and makes it harder and harder to win (a'la Robinson Crusoe) I'm all in. I have recently acquired HP and can't wait to get it to the table. ABERTO!


And I'll leave you with one more game that I hope to finally get to play this year. Roll Player, nominated in the Innovative Game category. Roll Player takes what is arguably the most boring part of RPG games, character creation, and making a game out of it. Dice rolling, Drafting, Set collection, Races , Classes, Equipment , it's all right here in the box. The reprint is coming soon (March) and an expansion is slated for a Kickstarter campaign later this year. Now I have to decide, buy when the reprint is available, or wait for the Kickstarter and get the whole package? Either way I'm getting it. This is the game currently at the top of my want to play list. and I'm not sure how much longer I can wait! -Rob


No comments:

Post a Comment